Macon in Noxubee County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Old Noxubee County Jail
Placed On The
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Erected 1979 by United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 33° 6.374′ N, 88° 33.633′ W. Marker is in Macon, Mississippi, in Noxubee County. Marker is on Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Drive 0.1 miles west of South Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Old County Jail is now the Noxubee County Library. It is on what was formerly 209 Madison Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Drive, Macon MS 39341, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Noxubee County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Prairie Blues (within shouting distance of this marker); First Court Term of Noxubee County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Macon Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dancing Rabbit Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calhoun Institute Allen-Morgan Place (approx. 0.8 miles away); Big Joe Williams (approx. 14 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Macon.
Regarding Old Noxubee County Jail. This is a different building than the "Old Noxubee County Jail of 1870" which is located at 503 South Washington Street and is also on the National Register of Historic Places as of 1991. The 1870 jail is owned by the St Paul Missionary Baptist Church.
Also see . . . National Park Service Record of Detail. (Submitted on February 21, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.