Ballston in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Inn of William Bettys
Was A Public Inn
During the Revolution.
William Bettys, Proprietor
Erected 1936 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 55.793′ N, 73° 52.717′ W. Marker is in Ballston, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on New York State Route 50, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 924 Route 50, Ballston Lake NY 12019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beriah Palmer (approx. half a mile away); Larkin House (approx. 0.6 miles away); McDonalds Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Waterman House (approx. one mile away); Stevens School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Stephen White (approx. 1.5 miles away); Town of Ballston (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ballston.
Regarding Inn of William Bettys. Bettys Tavern served not only travelers on their journeys but also locals. Many people were familiar with William Bettys who ran the inn, situated in territory that was primarily Loyalist during the American Revolution.
This tavern, located on present-day Route 50, is still recognizable as an old inn by the tiny rooms upstairs, rooms that would have been used by travelers overnight.
The bar was located on the first floor, in a room that today serves as the living room of a residence.
By Rick Reynolds, Ballston Historian
Additional keywords. Tavern
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 111 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.