Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Forestburg in Sanborn County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Forestburg Roadside Park

Along the Old Dacotah Trail

 
 
Forestburg Roadside Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, February 21, 2016
1. Forestburg Roadside Park Marker
Inscription. Long before the white man, an Indian Trail from the sanctuary at Pipestone Quarry to the "Three Rivers of the Sioux" near Ft. Thompson passed closely by. The whiteman's first road in Dakota, the Ft. Ridgely & South Pass Wagon Road, forded the James 7 miles north in 1857. The rock ford and a monument mark the site. December 1862 the "March to Moscow" relief expedition from Minnesota to Ft Thompson passed by "Mazeppa Hill" 2 ½ miles NE, now called Big Mound. In 1865 the "Big Cheyenne Wagon Road," Minnesota to Montana crossed the James at Big Mound. In 1873, first settlers George Walker, W.M. Tait, G.W. Hunter filed a few miles downstream and in 1874 W.G. Santee, Cyrus Ingram, and W.R. Belcher arrived; with Ingram and Belcher families staging 4th of July celebration to delight of Indians, on Big Mound. Santee became postmaster at Forestburg 5 November 1875, the "furtherest North" in James Valley for 4 years. This area, first in a gigantic Buffalo County in 1864, was in a larger Hanson in 1870; then in a long narrow Bramble in 1873 and a Big Miner in 1879. Forestburg was county seat December 2, 1880 until after the election of 1882 when Howard won and stole the records from a reluctant Forestburg. In 1883 a bill creating Brisbine was introduced but wind of possible gubernatorial displeasure caused a change to Sanborn, a railway official
Forestburg Roadside Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, February 21, 2016
2. Forestburg Roadside Park Marker
and it was so enacted and there were two sets of County Commissioners, at Forrestburg and at Letcher, until in the 1884 election Woonsocket won and settled the dispute. First train reached Forestburg on November 12, 1883 but the railroad had pushed north to Letcher in fall of 1882.
 
Erected 1958 by Tom M. Brisbine, Woonsocket and State Highway Commission.
 
Location. 44° 1.653′ N, 98° 7.286′ W. Marker is near Forestburg, South Dakota, in Sanborn County. Marker is on South Dakota Route 34 0.7 miles west of 405th Ave., on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Artesian SD 57314, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruskin Park (approx. 1.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 28, 2016.
Paid Advertisement