HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Charlotte Hall in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Charlotte Hall School
 
Charlotte Hall School Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
1. Charlotte Hall School Marker
 
Inscription. An outgrowth of the “Free Schools” established in Maryland in 1723, founded in 1774 “to provide for the liberal and pious education of the youth of this province, the better to it them for the discharge of their duties.” Continuously open since 1796.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historic Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 38° 28.717′ N, 76° 46.533′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Hall, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is at the intersection of Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5) and Charlotte Hall School Road, on the right when traveling south on Three Notch Road. Click for map. It is at the St. Mary’s County Welcome Center. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte Hall MD 20622, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maryland Begins Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Coole Springs of Saint Marie’s (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rear Admiral Raphael Semmes C.S.N. (about 600 feet away); Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé (about 700 feet away); Maxwell Hall (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlotte Hall.
 
Regarding Charlotte Hall School.
 
Charlotte Hall School Main Gate Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
2. Charlotte Hall School Main Gate
This gate is on Charlotte Hall Road, which parallels Route 5 one block east. It was the main road through town before the Route 5 bypass was built. Directly across the road is Coole Springs. The plaque on the left repeats this marker’s text, adding “Closed 1976.” The plaque on the right is the Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé Marker.
 
Also known as the Charlotte Hall Military Academy, the school closed in 1976, long after this marker was erected. It is now the Charlotte Hall Veterans’ Home. The Veterans’ Home provides assisted living and long-term care for Maryland’s veterans.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Heroes of Charlotte Hall. 378 Who Fought Democracy’s Battles. 1998 article by DonKehne and M.L. Faunce, published in the New Bay Times. (Submitted on April 8, 2007.) 

2. About The Charlotte Hall School. Page on the Charlotte Hall School Alumni Association website. (Submitted on April 8, 2007.) 

3. Charlotte Hall Veterans Home. (Submitted on April 8, 2007.)
 
The White House Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
3. The White House
This gambrel-roofed 1803 building, restored in 1938, was a dormitory and classroom.
 
 
Major Burgee House Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
4. Major Burgee House
Now the St. Mary’s County Welcome Center, this house was originally built and named for Major Burgee, who became headmaster in 1938. It is staffed weekends year-round and every day in the summer. Stop in to pick up brochures and learn more about Southern Maryland’s tourist and historical attractions.
 
 
Dent Chapel Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
5. Dent Chapel
This Victorial Gothic building was erected in 1884 in memory of the Reverend Hatch Dent, first headmaster of the school.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,759 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 199 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.