“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Town of Michigan /Lansing

Town of Michigan (front side) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2002
1. Town of Michigan (front side) Marker
Town of Michigan

In 1847, required by Michigan's 1835 constitution to choose a permanent capital site within the first decade of statehood, the legislature voted to move the capital from Detroit. Convinced that the governmental seat should be in the state's interior, legislators voted to relocate in Ingham County's unsettled Lansing Township. Citizens viewed the choice with skepticism-believing the decision was a joke that backfired. The capital commission platted the "Town of Michigan" in 1847 and chose a site bounded by Washington and Capitol avenues and Allegan and Washtenaw streets for a temporary capitol building. When the legislature met that year, many members were forced to lodge in private homes; others made their beds on the capitol floor. During that session, the legislature renamed the capital city Lansing.


The town of Michigan was planned in 1847 as the state capital. In April the state legislature considered renaming the capital Pewanogowink, Swedenborg or El Dorado, but chose Lansing, after John Lansing, an American Revolution hero. At that time the capital was a wilderness fraught with wolves and a "brain fever" (spinal meningitis) epidemic. In 1859, Lansing was incorporated as a city. During the 1870s, Lansing's lyceums and literary societies hosted
Lansing (obverse side) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2002
2. Lansing (obverse side) Marker
author Mark Twain and actor Edwin Booth. The 1847 capitol, considered "an old rattle trap," was replaced by the present building in 1879. Primarily an agricultural community, Lansing developed as a manufacturing center in the 1890s. In 1897, Ransom Eli Olds organized the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, Michigan's first operating automobile company.
Erected 1991 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S0629.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 43.972′ N, 84° 33.274′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on North Capitol Avenue. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Michigan State Capitol. Marker is in this post office area: Lansing MI 48933, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Michigan Sharpshooters (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chief Okemos / Okemos Village marker (approx. 6.5 miles away); Michigan's Capital (approx. 9.3 miles away); Grand River Trail (approx. 9.9 miles away).
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
Michigan State Capitol image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2002
3. Michigan State Capitol
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 108 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement