Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Reverse side: Erected by the citizens of Annapolis and by his old parishioners to keep in rememberance a noble life.
Erected 1901 by Citizens of Annapolis, Saint Anne's Parish.
Location. 38° 58.73′ N, 76° 29.562′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue (Maryland Route 450) and Chruch Circle (Maryland Route 450), on the left when traveling west on College Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); The Maryland Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Lot 70 Is Historically Significant (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Sir Francis Nicholson and Bloomsbury Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Government House (about 300 feet away); Reynold's Tavern (about 300 feet away); State House Square (about 300 feet away); Thurgood Marshall (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Annapolis.
Regarding Southgate Memorial. 2008 press release of the Southgate Memorial Fountain Restoration Committee:
Dr. William Scott Southgate first came to Annapolis in 1869 to serve as rector to St. Anne’s Episcopal Church.
During his 30 years in Annapolis, Reverend Southgate opened a mission school on the corner of Prince George and East Streets, which subsequently served as the Jewish synagogue. He was also instrumental in founding St. Philip’s Episcopal Church on Northwest Street, which served the African-American community and fostered new teachers and leaders.
One of Dr. Southgate’s dreams was to fund and build a fountain in the City "to refresh horses as well as humans." Upon his death in 1899, the City Council quickly appointed a commission to erect a fountain in Southgate’s memory and to "keep in remembrance a noble life."
The original Southgate Memorial Fountain was designed as an "English market cross rising out of a molded pedestal placed in an octagonal basin… filled
In its 100-year life, the fountain was enjoyed by many residents and visitors to Annapolis. In recent years the aging monument stopped working and fell into disrepair. The limestone exhibited crusting and the stonework started to lose its carved detailing.
In 2007, at the direction of the Mayor and with the endorsement of the City Council and approval of the Historic Preservation Commission, it was decided to restore the fountain. Led by City Public Works Engineer, Lily Openshaw, PE, monument restoration experts and trained technicians guided the delicate work, which included careful rinsing and selective re-pointing, repairing and resealing of the stonework and refinishing of the fountain’s basin. Also, a water-conserving circulation system was installed in the newly refurbished fountain.
Funding for the project was provided by the City of Annapolis, supplemented by grant funding from the Four Rivers Heritage Area and Maryland Heritage Areas Authority. In keeping with the original spirit of private support from the community, the Southgate Memorial Fountain Restoration Committee conducted a broad-based effort garnering $25,000 toward the project. Led by Alderman Richard E. Israel, and supported by Historic Annapolis Foundation, a select group of major benefactors
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 928 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.