Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery

 
 
Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 19, 2010
1. Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Encouraged by Edmund and Jonathan Munger, the church congregation met for the first time on November 29, 1813. Services generally were held for some years in the larger of Edmund Munger's two barns. In 1830 a quaint brick church was built on two acres of land purchased for $35 by Jonathan Munger. The church faced Rt. 725 in front of the cemetery. Abandoned by the congregation in 1928, the building was razed by the Ohio State Highway Department in 1971. There are 89 graves including that of Revolutionary War General William Dodds. The earliest grave is dated 1830 and the last 1898. This cemetery is now maintained by Washington Township.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 38′ N, 84° 12.371′ W. Marker was in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker was at the intersection of Washington Church Road and Miamisburg Centerville Road (U.S. 725), on the left when traveling south on Washington Church Road. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Dayton OH 45459, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Mad River Road / Road From Cunningham's to Mad River (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brigadier General Edmund Munger (approx. 2.2 miles away);
Southeast Corner of<br>Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 19, 2010
2. Southeast Corner of
Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery



Centerville Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); Sugar Creek Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Woody's Market (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Wright Seaplane Base / Wright Model G "Aeroboat" (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wright Seaplane Base (approx. 3.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Sugar Creek Friends Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dayton.
 
Also see . . .  Washington Cemetery - findagrave.com. (Submitted on March 7, 2016.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Removal of Marker
Improvements were made to the cemetery in 2011 including the removal of the fences along Washington Church Road and State Route 725 and the construction of a community sign and planter at the northwest corner of the intersection. At that time the marker was removed, and as of November 2015, the marker has not been relocated or replaced.
    — Submitted March 7, 2016.

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Grave Headstone of Captain William Dodds image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 19, 2010
3. Grave Headstone of Captain William Dodds
D.A.R. Plaque for Captain William Dodds image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 19, 2010
4. D.A.R. Plaque for Captain William Dodds
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement