Near Oviedo in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The name "JAMESTOWN" is a tribute to Benjamin and Esther James. The James' homesteaded about 1900 on 160 acres in the area known as "The Woods" on the northern edge of the settlement of Gabriella. Mr. Ben James built a home and farm on some of his acreage in an area called "The Woods".
After the hurricane of 1926, in the Miami area, where four hundred people died, Mr. Ben James sold acre lots to some of the new settlers that moved into this area. "The Woods" had no real name so the residents began calling it "Jamestown," after Mr. Ben James.
The first lots were sold to Bob and Flossie Wells, George and Nettie Davis, Morris J. and Margaret Williams. Other early settlers were: The Nails, Olivers, Perrys, Bryants, Evans, Brannons, Walkers, Ryans, and many more families in years to come.
Mrs. Ethel Burney was the principal and teacher for the students in 1930. Ben James built St. James A.M.E. Methodist Church, named
Ben James placed a corner stone on the front of the Church which says: 7-30-38, St. James A.M.E., BEN JAMES & FAMILY, REV. J.H. HOLLIES, PASTOR, REV. A.P. POSTELL, P.E.
The "JAMESTOWN" community believes that they are blessed to have had ancestors who instilled in the, The Golden Rule.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 37.854′ N, 81° 14.423′ W. Marker is near Oviedo, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of Florida Route 426 and James Drive, on the right when traveling north on State Route 426. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oviedo FL 32765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slavia (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gabriella (approx. 2.1 miles away); Oviedo (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lake Jesup (approx. 5.5 miles away); Wagner (approx. 5.6 miles away); Concord Cemetery Chuluota (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oviedo.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.