Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Longwood in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House

 
 
Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
1. Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House Marker Side 1
Inscription. (side 1)
Tourism in Central Florida began during the 1880's when the South Florida Railroad connected Sanford with Orlando. By 1886, direct rail service from the North brought wealthy winter tourists to luxury hotels and private winter "cottages' throughout the area. In front of you and on your left are the only survivors of these wooden hotels and "cottages."

To attract attention to his new town, Mr. Henck, Longwood's founder, built the rambling three story Longwood Hotel in plain view of travelers on the railroad line. Over the years, various owners renamed it the Waltham, and the St. George. During the Roaring Twenties it was called the Orange and Black and was known throughout the area as "the place to be" on a Saturday night.

In 1972, local resident Mrs. Robert Bradford purchased the
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
hotel and called it The Village Inn. In the 1980's, it was restored again and equipped as a modern office building. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Also on the National Register of Historic Places, the building to your right is the Bradley/McIntyre House. It was built in 1887 in the Boston winter enclave of Altamonte Springs five miles south of
Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
2. Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House Marker Side 2
here and was a private winter "cottage" for the wealthy Boston architect Nathaniel bradley. It served as the residence of Mr. and Mrs. S.M. McIntyre for 40 years.

Expensive to maintain, it fell into disrepair in the 1960s. In 1973, the house became the property of the Central Florida Society for Historic Preservation and was moved to this current location. It was restored and furnished in the late Victorian Style.
 
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 28° 42.02′ N, 81° 20.799′ W. Marker is in Longwood, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of North Ronald Reagan Boulevard (County Road 427) and West Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Ronald Reagan Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 N Ronald Reagan Blvd, Longwood FL 32750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Longwood/E.W. Henck (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Concord Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Seminole County (approx. 2.3 miles away); William Bartram Trail
Longwood Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
3. Longwood Hotel
(approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named Seminole County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Orange Belt Railway (approx. 3.3 miles away); Oviedo Turntable (approx. 4.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Longwood.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Bradley McIntyre House image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 31, 2016
4. Bradley McIntyre House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement