St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mission of Nuestra Seņora del Rosario de La Punta
The mission church was located near the center of La Punta, which consisted of dispersed farmsteads within a 30-acre area just south of the Rosario Line, one of the city's colonial defensive walls. Along with other mission communities that surrounded the city, La Punta formed part of St. Augustine's comprehensive defense-in-depth system.
This green space protects the resting place of more than 75 individuals, the majority of whom were buried below the church floor. The church was constructed of palm thatch and lumber, which deteriorated shortly after LaPunta's abandonment circa 1755.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.008′ N, 81° 18.49′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Tremerton Street and South Street, on the right when traveling north on Tremerton Street Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dade Pyramids (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major Dade and His Command Monuments (approx. 0.2 miles away); 94 South Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Francis Barracks (approx. 0.3 miles away); 156 M.L. King Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (approx. 0.3 miles away); 160 M.L. King Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tovar House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 94 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.