“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oviedo in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Lake Jesup

Lake Jesup Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
1. Lake Jesup Marker Side 1
Inscription. (side 1)
The Oviedo area was first referred to as the Lake Jesup Settlement. Lake Jesup's first store was built on the southern shore in 1870 by John F. Mitchell. Antonio Solary, a Jacksonville merchant, built another store with a larger wharf west of Mitchell's about two years later.

During this time Solary's Wharf was the site of the Lake Jesup post office, and mail and passengers came weekly from Sanford on the Steamboat Volusia.

Solary's Wharf served the Central Florida area until the railroad was built from Sanford in 1886, at which time the Oviedo post office, established in 1879, became the only post office for the community.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
The Lake Jesup Steamboat company was incorporated in 1882 by lake area fruit growers by acquiring the steamboat Isis. This shallow-draft flat-bottomed boat sank that same year north of here in Lake George, a part of the St. Johns River.

George H. Browne, the storekeeper at Solary's Wharf, was speaker of the Florida House of Representatives in 1887.

In 1888, Oviedo orange growers formed the Oviedo , Lake Charm & Lake Jessup Railroad, with the proposed rails to end at Solary's Wharf. This line never operated,
Lake Jesup Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
2. Lake Jesup Marker Side 2
but it did serve as a ploy in forcing the South Florida Railroad to lower unfair rates for hauling fruit.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 42.31′ N, 81° 12.393′ W. Marker is in Oviedo, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker can be reached from Black Hammock Fish Camp Road 0.2 miles north of Black Hammock Road when traveling north. Click for map. Marker can be found at the boat ramp past the end of the road and adjacent to the Black Hammock Restaurant. It is partially hidden by shrubbery surrounding the boat ramp. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2356 Black Hammock Fish Camp Road, Oviedo FL 32765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oviedo (approx. 2.4 miles away); Wagner (approx. 4.1 miles away); Slavia (approx. 4.3 miles away); Naval Air Station - Sanford (approx. 4.5 miles away); Jamestown (approx. 5.5 miles away); George C. Means Memorial Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 6.2 miles away); Old Folks Home (approx. 6.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oviedo.
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 154 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement