Burlington in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Chittenden County Trust Company
This Beaux Arts-style building, with its symmetrical marble facades, prominent cornices, sculptural ancient Greek and Roman details, and arched windows and doors, was designed by famed Boston architects Harper & West at the request of the Chittenden County Trust Company in 1931. A massive fire on 1928 destroyed the former Y.M.C.A and McAuliffe Paper Company building, which allowed for the site to become the new headquarters for the growing bank. This iconic building, whose monumental marble appearence stands in sharp contrast to the prevalence of nineteenth century brick buildings on Church Street, is wrapped in marble from the world-famous Vermont Marble Co. of Proctor. Bank tellers and officers greeted customers through the grand, arched entry on Church Street into a vaulted, sun-filled banking hall backed by a two-story arched window looking west to City Hall Park. The Merchants Bank occupied the property from 1969 through 1994, with Bank President Dudley H. Davis proudly overseeing the growth of the Bank and the caretaking of the building. In 1995, Paul Frederick Pape Jr. acquired the property, undertaking extensive renovations to welcome new retail and office tenants while maintaining the integrity of the original Harper & West design.
Location. 44° 28.601′ N, 73° Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Church Street, Burlington VT 05401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Street (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Church Street Marketplace (within shouting distance of this marker); Burlington Civil War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain John Lonergan (about 300 feet away); Site of the Old Gas Station (about 400 feet away); Site of the American House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Church Street Marketplace (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Burlington.
More about this marker. Church Street is restricted to pedestrian traffic only.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 130 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on September 13, 2016.