New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Fort St. John
Established by Colonial French in the early 18th century
Rebuilt by the Spanish-1779
Built to protect New Orleans from attack by way of Lake Ponchartrain.
Spirit of '76 Chapter
Erected 1960 by Department of Commerce and Industry.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 30° 1.357′ N, 90° 5.017′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Beauregard Avenue north of Jay Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Pontchartrain (approx. 1.1 miles away); London Avenue Canal Floodwall Breach (approx. 1.4 miles away); Brothers Of The Sacred Heart (approx. 2 miles away); 17th Street Canal Floodwall (approx. 2.2 miles away); Beatles Only Concert Performance in Louisiana (approx. 2.4 miles Duelling Grounds (approx. 2.5 miles away); General Beauregard Equestrian Statue (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.