Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lake Mary in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Belair Historical Marker

 
 
Belair Historical Marker Marker-Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
1. Belair Historical Marker Marker-Side 1
Inscription. (side 1)
Belair, located between Crystal Lake and what later became known as Belair Station, a signal stop on the South Florida Railroad, was a 400 acre portion of the original 12,000 acre grant acquired by General Henry S. Sanford in 1870.

When Mr. Sanford found the land at his 100 acre St. Gertrude grove northeast of here unsuitable for oranges due to an impenetrable layer of soil called hardpan, he moved the grove to Belair in 1874. He actively urged agencies in Washington, D.C. to establish an agricultural experiment station in Florida; and in 1881 he offered to donate 100 acres for this purpose. He repeated the offer again in 1884. When this was unsuccessful, he himself established the first experimental station in Florida for testing citrus and tropical plants for their suitability to Florida climate and soils.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
This experimental station of 145 acres had ninety-five acres devoted to the testing of 140 varieties of citrus imported from around the world, fifty acres to lemons, ten to nursery stock, less than an acre to 60 varieties of pineapple, and one acre to olive trees. In addition there were 200 varieties of grapes, three fig trees, and a large number of young pecan
Belair Historical Marker Marker-Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
2. Belair Historical Marker Marker-Side 2
trees. A five acre track with a southern exposure sloping to Crystal Lake contained 60 rare exotics and other flowers and plants ranging from alligator pear (avocado) to varieties obtained from world wide sources.

Here Mr. Sanford built for himself a temporary two story frame lodge located in what is now the middle of the present Chase Groves subdivision. It was destroyed by fire about 1915.

In 1902 Belair was purchased by S.O. and J.C. Chase of Philadelphia. The Chase family continued citrus production at this site until the 1980s.
 
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 28° 46.767′ N, 81° 18.12′ W. Marker is near Lake Mary, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Casa Verde Boulevard 0.1 miles south of Brightview Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located in small park along the roadway. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Mary FL 32746, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mayfair Country Club (approx. one mile away); Upsala Swedish Community (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lake Mary Historic Sites
Belair Historical Marker Marker with playground in the background. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
3. Belair Historical Marker Marker with playground in the background.
(approx. 1.9 miles away); Goldsboro (approx. 2 miles away); Dr. Seth French (1824~1896) (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sanford State Farmers' Market (approx. 2.2 miles away); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lake Mary.
 
Categories. Agriculture
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement