Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Collinsville in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Collinsville- Railroad from both sides

 
 
Collinsville- Railroad from both sides Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan M. Perrie, November 20, 2015
1. Collinsville- Railroad from both sides Marker
Inscription. From the book “Connecticut Railroads” by Turner & Jacobs. Train time at Collinsville, Connecticut on the Central New England Railway. Because the main-line track was on the outskirts of town, trains actually backed into the station. This train is sitting along Bridge Street with the bend in the river.
 
Erected by Canton Historical Museum.
 
Location. 41° 48.667′ N, 72° 55.4′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is on Bridge Street (Connecticut Route 179), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Bridge Street, Canton CT 06019, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charter Oak Offspring (here, next to this marker); The Collins Company Plow Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canton Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Collinsville’s Powerhouse Station No. 3 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Collinsville, Town of Canton
New Haven and Northampton Railroad bridge image. Click for full size.
By Alan M. Perrie, January 31, 2016
2. New Haven and Northampton Railroad bridge
The NH&N line to New Hartford crossed the bridge abutments that are still visible from the present River Road (route 179). The CNE Railroad has backed into the passenger station along Bridge Street, on the left. The photo courtesy of the Canton Historical Museum.
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Constitution Oak (approx. one mile away); In Memory of Phoebe Humphrey (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Collinsville.
 
Regarding Collinsville- Railroad from both sides. Collinsville has a unique railroad history because they had two railroads that were very close, but did not connect. The New Haven and Northampton (NH&N) came first in 1850, followed by the Central New England (CNE) in 1871.
 
Also see . . .
1. CNE Railway and map. (Submitted on March 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Railroads in Canton, CT. (Submitted on March 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
3. CNE Railway. (Submitted on March 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
4. NH&N Company. (Submitted on March 16, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Central New England Railway Station on Bridge Street. image. Click for full size.
By Alan M. Perrie, January 31, 2016
3. Central New England Railway Station on Bridge Street.
The CNE train (1871-1927) would use the “Y” to turn around at the Collinsville Junction Station on Dyer Avenue and the train would back down to the Collinsville CNE Station. The bridge for the NH&N line is in the background. The photo courtesy of the Canton Historical Museum.
Collinsville’s HN&N Railway Station image. Click for full size.
By Alan M. Perrie, January 31, 2016
4. Collinsville’s HN&N Railway Station
The first railroad to Collinsville was completed in 1850, as a branch of the New Haven and Northampton Railroad (NH&N). The passenger station was located south of the 90° curve in Main Street, opposite the existing stone wall. The photo courtesy of the Canton Historical Museum.
The New Haven and Northampton Railroad image. Click for full size.
By Alan M. Perrie, March 13, 2016
5. The New Haven and Northampton Railroad
This passenger station was originally for the New Haven and Northampton Railroad which crossed the river both north and south of Town. The photo courtesy of the Canton Historical Museum.
The Freight Station image. Click for full size.
By Alan M. Perrie, November 20, 2015
6. The Freight Station
The white building was the Freight Station for the NH&N Railroad. The Collins Company (large brick building behind it) was its main customer.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement