Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Plemons Cemetery

 
 
Plemons Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
1. Plemons Cemetery Marker
Inscription. The town of Plemons was settled about 1898 when James A. Whittenburg, an area rancher, built a dugout house in a hill overlooking a bend in the Canadian River about seven miles northeast of this site. The town was named for Barney Plemons, son of Amarillo judge and State Legislator William Buford Plemons, and when Hutchinson County was organized in Spring 1901, Plemons was chosen county seat. E. E. Akers contracted to build a brick courthouse in that year. According to local oral history accounts, Mrs. E. E. Akers was the first to be interred in the Plemons Cemetery, probably in 1902. Plemons experienced slow growth as a river crossing town. By 1905 a wagon yard, barbershop, doctor's office, drugstore and mercantile store formed a business base for about fifteen families. Former buffalo hunter, scout and Hutchinson County's first Sheriff William (Billy) Dixon and his family operated a hotel for three years.

The Amarillo branch of the Rock Island Line was completed through the area in 1926, stopping in Stinnett instead of Plemons. Voters chose Stinnett as the new county seat and Plemons gradually declined. The new county oil boom kept the town going for another two decades. The last burial in the Plemons Cemetery, which includes 66 graves, was that of Charles Ray Sessions, interred in 1953. In 1987 cemetery preservation efforts
Plemons Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
2. Plemons Cemetery Marker
Plemons Cemetery Marker is on the far left.
by local Boy Scouts uncovered a sandstone grave marker reading "Mrs. E. E. A.," lending significant credence to the oral history accounts that Mrs. Akers was the first to be interred on this site. The Plemons Cemetery serves as a chronicle of early Hutchinson County history.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12096.)
 
Location. 35° 44.648′ N, 101° 25.057′ W. Marker is near Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on State Highway 152 half a mile north of County Route 13, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Borger TX 79007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bents Creek (here, next to this marker); Battle of Adobe Walls (here, next to this marker); Fritz Thompson Bridge (here, next to this marker); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 4.8 miles away); Ace Borger Home (approx. 5 miles away); East Ward Elementary School (approx. 5 miles away); Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building (approx. 5.2 miles away); Twentieth Century Club (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Borger.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
Plemons Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
3. Plemons Cemetery Marker
View north on highway 152.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement