Bayport in Hernando County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bayport's Early Historic Period/Post Civil War Era
During the First Spanish Period (1565-1763) Florida served as a military defense port. In 1763, under British control, agricultural commerce became important. Control of Florida returned to Spain in 1783. In 1818, Andrew Jackson mounted a campaign against the Seminole Indians in North Florida that helped the United States secure Florida from Spain in 1821 and pushed the Indians south. The Second Seminole War (1835-1842) forced the Indians out of Central Florida, and the Florida Armed Occupation Act of 1842 opened the area to settlement. John Parsons, a war veteran from New Hampshire, built a large house in 1852 that became a post office and general store. He also constructed a causeway, a wharf, a custom house, and a light house. In partnership with David Levy Yulee, Parsons brought goods from Brooksville by wagon for shipment out of Bayport that were then transported by railroad from Cedar Key to Fernandina Beach. Major exports were cotton, produce, and timber. During the Civil War, Bayport exported salt and beef for Confederate troops, and was under attack by Union forces. Bayport served as the Hernando County seat from 1854 to 1856.
Post Civil War Era
Erected 2013 by Hernando County Environmentally Sensitive Lands Program, Historic Hernando Preservation
Location. 28° 32.153′ N, 82° 39.067′ W. Marker is in Bayport, Florida, in Hernando County. Marker can be reached from Cortez Boulevard (County Route 550) 6.5 miles west of Commercial Way (U.S. 19), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the Bayport Park picnic area near the boat ramp parking lot, at the end of Cortez Blvd, west of Weeki Wachee State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4140 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill FL 34607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bayport Area Before Human Occupation/Bayport's First People (a few steps from this marker); Bayport (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aripeka Historic District (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hudson Cemetery (approx. 12.1 miles away); Vereen Methodist Episcopal Church, School and Cemetery (approx. 12.1 miles away); Loyce Cemetery (approx. 12.3 miles away); Saint Stanislaus Chapel (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 133 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.