“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Coronado Beach House

Coronado Beach House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 21, 2014
1. Coronado Beach House Marker
Inscription. Coronado Beach was settled by Foster G. Austin in 1885. Austin built a series of beachside cottages approximately one mile south of Flagler Avenue. In its early days, Coronado Beach, named after Austinís native community in California, served primarily as a retreat for hunting and fishing during the winter. The community center shifted north to the Flagler Avenue area after the construction of a bridge that connected the mainland and the beachfront. Not many of the original houses withstood the ensuing decades of beachfront development. This house is one of the original houses built in Coronado Beach by Austin and is an excellent example of the type of housing built in this area in the late 19th century. Its original location was one half block south, at the northeast corner of Hill Street and 8th Avenue. Notable architectural features of this frame Vernacular house include the cross gable roof, veranda with cut-out stars in the brackets, chamfered posts, alternate shingle siding and ornate attic light in the east gable end. Coronado Beach was incorporated into the City of New Smyrna Beach in 1946.
A Florida Heritage Site

Erected 2007 by the Malibu Condominiums, LLC and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-613.)
Coronado Beach House image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 21, 2014
2. Coronado Beach House
Marker is just to the left
29° 1.544′ N, 80° 53.342′ W. Marker is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on Hill Street south of 7th Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1705 Hill Street, New Smyrna Beach FL 32169, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel (approx. 2 miles away); Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats (approx. 2 miles away); To the Past... (approx. 2 miles away); Dr. Andrew Turnbull (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old St. Rita Colored Mission Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hotel Inlet Terrace (approx. 4.1 miles away); Jesse Linzy (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Smyrna Beach.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement