Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Woman's Club of Tallahassee
Inscription. The Woman's Club of Tallahassee was founded in 1903 by Miss Anna Chaires and other prominent Tallahassee women. The club helped Tallahassee's less fortunate citizens, and in 1910 was instrumental in securing funding for building the first Leon High School. It endorsed the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote in 1920. The club supported the Girl Scouts and the 4-H Club during the 1920s, and fought against poverty during the Great Depression. During World War II, the clubhouse was operated by the Red Cross to roll bandages and participate in other activities which furthered the war effort. Since the 1950s, the Woman's Club has been the site of many functions in support of a variety of charitable causes, as well as countless social events. The Mediterranean Revival style clubhouse, which became Tallahassee's unofficial civic and entertainment center after 1927, was designed by E.D. Fitchner of Louisville, Kentucky. It is located in the Los Robles subdivision, a planned Mediterranean Revival style development. Only the development's entry arch and the clubhouse were actually designed in this architectural style. The Woman's Club of Tallahassee was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
By Tim Fillmon, March 26, 2014
1. Woman's Club of Tallahassee Marker
A Florida Heritage Site
by Ajax Construction Company, Benson's Heating and Air Conditioning Company, Charlene Hogan, Sue Tully and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-770.)
By Tim Fillmon, March 26, 2014
2. Woman's Club of Tallahassee Marker with building in background
Location. 30° 27.575′ N, 84° 16.583′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of Fernando Drive and Cristobal Drive, on the left when traveling north on Fernando Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1513 Cristobal Dr, Tallahassee FL 32303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lafayette Township Grant (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Lafayette Township Grant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Plantation Cemetery At Betton Hills (approx. ¾ mile away); Governor William Dunnington Bloxham House 1844 / Governor Bloxham House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Leon High School (approx. one mile away); Goodwood (approx. 1.1 miles away); Goodwood Mansion (approx. 1.1 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tallahassee.
Also see . . . GFWC Woman's Club of Tallahassee. (Submitted on March 28, 2016.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.