St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Ximenez-Fatio House
Inscription. This two-story coquina house and detached kitchen was built for Spanish merchant Andres Ximenez ca. 1798 for use as a general store, tavern, and family residence. After Florida became a U.S. Territory in 1821, Margaret Cook bought the property in 1823 and, with Eliza Whitehurst, operated it as "Mrs. Whitehurst's Boarding House." Sarah Petty Anderson bought the house in 1838 and in 1851 she retained Louisa Fatio to manage it as a boarding house. Fatio bought the property four years later and ran it as a fashionable inn for twenty years, providing lodging for Florida's earliest tourists who came seeking a healthier climate. In 1939, the Fatio heirs sold the house to the National Society of Colonial Dames of America-Florida for use as a house museum. Considered one of St. Augustine's best preserved Spanish colonial dwellings, the Ximenez-Fatio House depicts the boarding house lifestyle of Florida's Territorial/Early Statehood Period. It is one of the first museums in America to interpret 19th century women's history. Multiple archaeological excavations document the property's occupation by the Native Americans, Spanish, and British. A rare Spanish Caravaca cross (ca 1650) was found on this site.
By Tim Fillmon, March 7, 2014
1. The Ximenez-Fatio House Marker
A Florida Heritage Landmark
Erected 2012 by The National Society
of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Florida and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-745.)
By Tim Fillmon, March 7, 2014
2. The Ximenez-Fatio House Marker and house
Location. 29° 53.47′ N, 81° 18.692′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Aviles Street north of Cadiz Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Aviles Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cofradia Site Coquina Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Nuestra Seņora de los Remedios (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Plaza Building (about 400 feet away); Florida (about 400 feet away); 31 King Street (about 400 feet away); Trinity Parish Church (about 400 feet away); Public Market Place (about 500 feet away); The St. Augustine Foot Soldiers Monument (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Ximenez-Fatio House Museum. (Submitted on March 28, 2016.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.