New California Church
The New California Church was organized in 1826 at a time when the congregation was called the Associate Congregation of Darby and represented Presbyterians whose ancestors came from the "Seceder" tradition of Scotland. Seceder Presbyterians were so named because they left or "seceded from" the mainstream Pres- byterian Church when the English Crown claimed the right to name ministers. Their desire for religious freedom brought them to America where they were one of the earliest denominations to condemn slavery. The congregation met at members' homes until building its first church in 1833, a log structure. The first minister to serve this congregation, the Reverend James Wallace, who served from 1832-1841, was an outspoken opponent of slavery, and this congregation maintained that anti-slavery stance under later ministers. The present church was built in 1904.
On April 24, 1861, in the sanctuary of the second Presbyterian church built on this site, a congregational meeting was held to respond to the call from President Abraham Lincoln for volunteers to defend the Union. On the pulpit lay the "Bible and munitions for war," and behind the pulpit stood the Reverend B.D. Evans who delivered a stirring patriotic address and sermon. As a result more than forty men came
Erected 2009 by Jerome Township Trustees Union County Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8- 80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 9.416′ N, 83° 14.26′ W. Marker is in Marysville, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is on Industrial Parkway (old US 33) (County Route 1), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the New California United Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10089 Industrial Parkway, Plain City OH 43064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jerome Township Soldiers' Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jerome Township Civil War Memorial Joshua Ewing (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jerome United Methodist Church/Company E, 30th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jerome Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Indian Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Unionville Center (approx. 5.5 miles away); Vice President Charles Warren Fairbanks / Charles Warren Fairbanks Birthplace (approx. 5.5 miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.