St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nuestra Seņora de los Remedios
Our Lady of Remedies
Burned by Francis Drake in 1586 and rebuilt, Los Remedios was a large wooden structure with a thatch roof and a richly appointed interior.
The church, with its cemetery, was located near the waterfront as specified by Spanish Royal Ordinances "so that it may be seen on leaving the sea, and in a place where its building may serve as a means of defense for the port itself." The cross on its gable was the highest landmark, intended as a beacon of faith and a safe harbor.
Together with the nearby guardhouse, government house, plaza and port landing, the church was the heart of the new settlement. It stood until its destruction by combined English and Native American forces led by Governor James Moore of Carolina in 1702 - after which Nuestra Seņora de la Soledad, on today's St. George Street, became the parish church.
Archaeologists have discovered European and Native American Christian burials at the site of Los Remedios.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Florida (a few steps from this marker); 31 King Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The St. Augustine Foot Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Market Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast Iron Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Augustine Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Market (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.