Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Military Road

Crown Point to Ticonderoga

 

—1689 – 1783 —

 
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
1. Old Military Road Marker
Inscription.
Used by troops during early
Colonial Wars and during
the American Revolution.

 
Erected by Ticonderoga Historical Society.
 
Location. 43° 54.111′ N, 73° 25.644′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 9 and Shore Airport Road (County Route 43), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 9. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A landscape filled with legend and activity . . . (approx. 1.8 miles away); Streetroad Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Carillon Bridge (approx. 3.7 miles away); Carillon Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Original Carillon Bridge (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano (approx. 3.7 miles away); Grand Carry Landing (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ticonderoga.
 
Also see . . .
1. Crown Point State Historic Site. New York State. (Submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Fort Ticonderoga National Historic Landmark.
Old Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
2. Old Military Road Marker
(Submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraMilitaryNotable PlacesRoads & VehiclesWar, French and IndianWar, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on Route 9 image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
3. Marker on Route 9
The marker is located in between the Forts of Crown Point and Ticonderoga.
His Majesty’s Fort of Crown Point image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
4. His Majesty’s Fort of Crown Point
The British built this fort at Crown Point after the French abandoned Fort St. Frédéric, located at this site, in 1759. Together with Fort Ticonderoga to the south, these forts protected the British, and later the Americans, from an attack from the north.
Fort Ticonderoga image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2008
5. Fort Ticonderoga
This fort was constructed by the French in 1755 and named Fort Carillon. It was taken by the British in 1759 and renamed Fort Ticonderoga. American troops seized the fort in 1775, but the British retook it two years later.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,601 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement