Near Stratford in Sherman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Settlers on Coldwater Creek
(creek located 6 ½ miles south)
W.B. Slaughter acquired the Rawlings place about 1894. Later ran bank and store in Stratford.
John Lanners (arrived 1892) was a cowboy at Slaughter's ranch; acquired land and ran a mule-drawn supply line.
One of largest spreads was owned by Thomas Snyder (also arrived in 1892). Among other prominent early settlers were J.H. Williams, freighter, and Geo. Loomis, merchant.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1353.)
Location. 36° 22.609′ N, 102° 6.957′ W. Marker is near Stratford, Texas, in Sherman County. Marker is on U.S. 287 3.5 miles north of U.S. 54, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stratford TX 79084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherman County Courthouse (approx. 3.7 miles away); Removal of Archives From Coldwater to Stratford (approx. 3.7 miles away); County Named for Sidney Sherman, C.S.A. Sherman County (approx. 9 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.