Near Newcastle in Young County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established in 1850
The largest military post in
until the Civil War.
The first county seat of
A station on
the Southern Overland Mail Line
St. Louis and San Francisco
1858 - 1861
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 10.635′ N, 98° 44.464′ W. Marker is near Newcastle, Texas, in Young County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 380 and Farm to Market Road 61, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 380. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newcastle TX 76372, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harmonson Rancho (approx. 1.4 miles away); Joseph Alfred Woolfolk (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Fort Belknap Powder Magazine (approx. 1.8 miles away); Major Robert Simpson Neighbors (approx. 1.8 miles away); Camp Belknap, C.S.A. Fort Belknap (approx. 1.8 miles away); Tonkawa Scouts, C.S.A. (approx. 1.8 miles away); Major Robert S. Neighbors (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newcastle.
Regarding Fort Belknap. Original reconstructed buildings of the fort may be found at Fort Belknap park, which is located 1.8 miles south of the marker on Farm-to-Market Road 61.
Also see . . . Fort Belknap. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 30, 2016.)
Categories. • Communications • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.