Near Follett in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. Charles and Ora White owned land in South Ivanhoe and at this site, deeding land for Fairmont Cemetery in 1910, even before the establishment of Follett. The first burial was the reinterment of Myra Jones, a mother of six, who was killed by lightning in 1904 and originally buried at the Gigger Ranch. Her widowed husband, Michael "Uncle Mac" Jones, was the cemetery's first caretaker. In the 1920s, Frederick Harhausen and his two sons hauled more than 200 cedar trees from near Vici, OK. (40 mi. SE), planting them on the perimeter and in a circle in
Those buried here include the children of Mexican railroad workers who died during the influenza epidemic of 1918. More than one hundred military veterans, three of whom were killed in action in World War II, are also interred here. The Fairmont Cemetery Association, founded in 1909, cares for the cemetery.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13944.)
Location. 36° 28.692′ N, 100° 7.001′ W. Marker is near Follett, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1454 and County Road C. Click for map. Marker is in center of cemetery, on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Follett TX 79034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Follett (approx. 3.3 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (approx. 3.3 miles away); Northeast Corner of Texas (approx. 7.2 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 125 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.