Near Ramona in Lake County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lake County South Dakota
You are about to enter
It was created in 1873 for parts of Brookings, Minnehaha and Hanson Counties and organized October 6th with Herman N. Luce and John T. Hare as commissioners. Settlement began in 1870 when Wm. Lee, John Walker and Herman N. Luce arrived and built the Lee log cabin, its first edifice. Shortly, Madison, named for Madison, Wis. And Herman, named for Luce grew up on the shores of Lakes Madison and Herman, respectively. By 1880 its population was 2,657 and the coming of the railroad that year shifted the county seat from ‘Old Madison’ to Madison laid out by C.B. Kennedy July 6th 1880.
The first train arrived January 12, 1881. The Swiss Colony at Badus was founded in 1878. Wentworth in 1880. Winifred 1882, Ramona 1887. Madison State Normal was established in 1881 with classes starting in 1883. Its present name, General Beadle State College, honors it’s President W.H.H. Beadle (1889-1906) who was known as the ‘Savior of School Lands.’ From 1890 to 1932 Lake Madison Chautauqua brought
Lake County, 24 miles square, rich in soil and scenery, welcomes you.
Erected 1958 by Lake County Commissioners.
Location. 44° 11.743′ N, 97° 7.792′ W. Marker is near Ramona, South Dakota, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of Route 81 and 220th Street, on the right when traveling south on Route 81. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ramona SD 57054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Badus – Pioneer Swiss Colony (approx. 3 miles away); St. Ann's Catholic Church of Badus (approx. 3.4 miles away); Kingsbury County South Dakota (approx. 11.3 miles away); Brookings County South Dakota (approx. 11.3 miles away); Arlington Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 86 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.