Lipscomb in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lipscomb County Courthouse
During the first decade of the 20th century, the number of farms and ranches in the county more than doubled, and the population more than tripled that of the 1900 census. In 1915, county voters approved the issuance of bonds for a new, larger courthouse to serve the governmental functions of a growing county. The commissioners court selected William M. Rice of Amarillo as both architect and general contractor for the project. Edward S. Altmiller, who had been the contractor for the 1910 Lipscomb County jail, served as construction superintendent.
Rice designed the courthouse in the Classical Revival style, with style-defining features such as the arched doorway and the triangular pediment supported by Doric order columns over the entrance. Design and construction took place primarily during 1916, with final details completed in early 1917.
Despite its status as the smallest town in the county, largely the result of being bypassed by the railroad, Lipscomb retains its designation as county seat. The Lipscomb County courthouse, which dominates the town site, continues to function as the center of government and politics for county residents.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12483.)
Location. 36° 14.028′ N, 100° 16.264′ W. Marker is in Lipscomb, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker is on South Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Main Street, Lipscomb TX 79056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lipscomb Union Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lipscomb School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Lipscomb, Texas (approx. ¼ mile away); Lipscomb Cemetery (approx. one mile away); St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (approx. 15.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lipscomb.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.