Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The 16th & 23d Corps March to Decatur
South of the creek, the skirmishers of both corps were assailed by Wheeler's cav. (CS) as they moved toward the Decatur Public Square.
Erected 1954 by Georgia HIstorical Commission. (Marker Number 044-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 48.709′ N, 84° 18.437′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker is at the intersection of North Druid Hills Road (Georgia Route 42) and Clairmont Road (Georgia Route 155), on the left when traveling east on North Druid Hills Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel (approx. 1.5 miles away); Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation (approx. 1.5 miles away); Stanley & Wood March To Durand's Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Durand's Mill (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. 1.7 miles away); 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Historic Ground (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 889 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.