Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McComb in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

McComb First Presbyterian Church

Built 1855-56

 
 
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
1. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
close up, side A, facing the street
Inscription. (side a)
Organization of the congregation began in 1848 under the Rev. George Van Eman, and a charter was granted in 1854. The oldest Presbyterian church building in continuous use in Hancock County, the sanctuary was constructed in 1855-56. Members of the congregation included first Congressional Medal of Honor recipients John R. Porter and William Bennsinger, honored for their exploits as members of Andrews Raiders during the Civil War.

(side b)
Captain Issac Cusac, Civil War hero, was a member of the congregation and married the daughter of Rev. Van Eman, first minister of the congregation. Also, in this building, one of the first Boy Scout Troops in America was organized by Rev. Alexander in 1910.
 
Erected 1984 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-32.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 6.387′ N, 83° 47.731′ W. Marker is in McComb, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of South Church Street and West South Street, on the right when traveling south on South Church Street. Click for map
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
2. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
close up, side B, away from the street
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 S Church St, Mc Comb OH 45858, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); McComb Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I and II Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Bensinger and John R. Porter (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Village of McComb (approx. 0.6 miles away); Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Village of Van Buren (approx. 7.9 miles away); North Baltimore / Community Firsts (approx. 8.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McComb.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  McComb First Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on April 7, 2016.)
 
Additional keywords. Great Locomotive Chase
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
3. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
full view of church, with marker seen at a distance
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
4. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
bell on front lawn
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
5. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
church sign
McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 6, 2016
6. McComb First Presbyterian Church Marker
the 4-4-0 locomotive "General", stolen by these men from Ohio, 1n 1862
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement