Lovell in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Crawford's Burning / to Battle Island
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trailh
—Harrison's March —
Text on South Side :
- - - - -
Text on North Side :
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A140.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 40° 53.454′ N, 83° 19.867′ W. Marker was in Lovell, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker was at the intersection of Ohio Route 199 and County Route 42, on the left when traveling north on State Route 199. Click for map. Nothing remains of this marker, but according to my vehicle's odometer this marker site is about 2 miles south of the site of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker for Crawford's Burning. Marker was at or near this postal address: 7002 State Route 199, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Colonel William Crawford / The 1782 Sandusky Campaign (approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing); Crawford Memorial Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); Burning of Crawford (approx. 2.1 miles away); Colonel Crawford (approx. 2.2 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 3.4 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Battle Island (approx. 3.9 miles away); Wyandot Mission Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); John Stewart (approx. 4.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission' (Submitted on April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System Markers
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of General Harrison during the War of 1812. According to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report (see page 58), it was used on the portion of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System that connected Upper Sandusky to Findlay. According to the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails cartographic map, that was issued by the ORMC in 1930, this marker was situated along the roadway that in 1930 was US 23, but today, it is State Route 199.
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System, it is difficult to identify the probable location of these markers because the roadways of 1930 are so much different from the present day roadways. Many of the original roadways have been re-routed or by-passed, or in some cases given new route number designations. However, for this particular marker,
— Submitted April 8, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 119 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.