Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

“The Corners” & Oak Saloon

Main St. at Mt. Diablo Blvd.

 

—circa 1880 —

 
"The Corners" & Oak Saloon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 6, 2016
1. "The Corners" & Oak Saloon Marker
Inscription. First called "The Corners," Walnut Creek evolved at the junction of the regions's two main roads - Pacheco (running from Martinez to San Jose) and Lafayette (running west to Oakland). The Oak Saloon stood at the junction. The town was named Walnut Creek in 1862.
 
Erected by Walnut Creek Historical Society. (Marker Number 120.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Walnut Creek Heritage Walk marker series.
 
Location. 37° 53.857′ N, 122° 3.601′ W. Marker is in Walnut Creek, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on North Main Street near Mt. Diablo Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1308 North Main Street, Walnut Creek CA 94596, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sherburne Building (a few steps from this marker); Oldest Commercial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Duncan's Courtroom (within shouting distance of this marker); Harlan's Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Downtown Traffic (within shouting
"The Corners" & Oak Saloon Marker (detail) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
2. "The Corners" & Oak Saloon Marker (detail)
distance of this marker); Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); San Ramon Valley Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Street, 1910 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Walnut Creek.
 
More about this marker. This marker is a part of the Walnut Creek Heritage Walk.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Walnut Creek - Walnut Creek Chamber of Commerce. Walnut Creek was first known as “The Corners,” where the roads leading from Pacheco and Lafayette converged. Today those “corners” are at the intersection of Mt. Diablo Boulevard and North Main Street. The area’s first settler was a squatter named William Slusher. In 1849, Slusher built the first roofed abode on the bank of what was then known as “Nuts Creek” (in the area of the Broadway Plaza parking garage). (Submitted on April 9, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 

2. Our History - Walnut Creek 100. Walnut Creek has changed a lot over the past 100 years. Just take a look… (Submitted on April 9, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
"The Corners" & Oak Saloon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 6, 2016
3. "The Corners" & Oak Saloon Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement