Double Turbine Water Wheel
Used to power the Hollinsworth Grist Mill on Little North Fork River in North Fork Township of Marion County. Mill was built by Robert and Lemuel Hollinsworth in 1885 and operated until 1933.
This Leppel or double turbine water wheel and the coupling knuckle weighed more than 7,000 lbs.
Donated to Marion County, Arkansas be Ed Morrison in 1978.
Location. 36° 13.545′ N, 92° 40.907′ W. Marker is in Yellville, Arkansas, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 412 and North Berry Street, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 412. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the turbine it references, located near the northeast corner of the old Marion County Courthouse grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Yellville AR 72687, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Marion County (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker.
The marker incorrectly refers to this water wheel as a "Leppel" model, but the correct spelling is actually "Leffel". It was invented and manufactured by James Leffel.
Also see . . .
1. James Leffel's American double turbine water wheel
Images of this water wheel as it would have looked when operational (Submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Illustrated hand book of James Leffel's improved double turbine water wheel for 1885 and 1886. (Submitted on April 11, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.