Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Central Fire Station

1516 Bonanza St.

 

1926

 
Central Fire Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 6, 2016
1. Central Fire Station Marker
Inscription. Costing $3,000 to build, the two-story Central Fire Station was the first and "hub" station in the County's newly formed Central Fire Protection District. The station's pumper engine cost $7,000. The first fire chief was Raymond Spencer, son of Harry Spencer, the town's first mayor.
 
Erected by Walnut Creek Historical Society. (Marker Number 155.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Walnut Creek Heritage Walk marker series.
 
Location. 37° 53.994′ N, 122° 3.7′ W. Marker is in Walnut Creek, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Bonanza Street near Commercial Lane, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1518 Bonanza Street, Walnut Creek CA 94596, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mauzy Plumbing (within shouting distance of this marker); Kitty Milk Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Leech House & Medical Clinic (within shouting distance
Central Fire Station Marker (derail) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
2. Central Fire Station Marker (derail)
of this marker); Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Walnut Creek Meat Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Nut Bowl Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Walnut Creek.
 
More about this marker. This marker is a part of the Walnut Creek Heritage Walk.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Central Fire Protection District. After these fires, a hook and ladder fire company was formed for the City of Walnut Creek. Funds to purchase hose and ladder equipment were donated by local business men. Stored on a hose cart, the hose was made of stiff heavy canvas, measuring two-and-a-half inches in diameter and equipped with a four foot long brass nozzle. In 1893, Walnut Creek Fire Department volunteers purchased a new hand pumper which carried 200 feet of two inch rubber hose and 400 feet of one-and-a-half-inch canvas hose. This unit was pulled by hand to the scene of a fire and pump pressure was generated by firefighters on each side, hand pumping on two eight-foot oak bars. The water supply was provided through a hard suction hose dropped into a nearby well or cistern. When a well was unavailable, the firefighters had
The former Central Fire Station and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 6, 2016
3. The former Central Fire Station and Marker
to revert to the 24 leather buckets carried on the pumper and form a bucket brigade.

This article is about half way down the page. (Submitted on April 12, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Additional keywords. firehouse
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkNotable Buildings
 
Central Fire Station plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 6, 2016
4. Central Fire Station plaque
Fire Station
of the
Walnut Creek Volunteer Fire
Department
part of the
Central Fire Protection District
1926 to 1965
Walnut Creek Historical Society
Dedicated 1989
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement