“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Faces of Market Street

Faces of Market Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 9, 2016
1. Faces of Market Street Marker
Inscription. From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives.

The L&N Railroad built this new depot in 1907, replacing the old one which had been constructed in 1858.

Because of a narrow tunnel and steep grades between Athens and Nashville, the L&N Railroad began a project in 1912 called Lewisburg & Northern Division. This was a new line constructed to run through Lewisburg to Columbia and Athens. It was completed in 1914., and the first train to use this route was greeted with a parade marching from the depot down Market Street.

In 1899 the Raisler Corner building was sold to the Hendricks Brothers. "This location quickly became known as "Hendricks Corner."
The Pinnacle Group renovated the Hendricks Corner building in 1995 to look as nearly as possible as it had in the early 1900s.

In 1940s view of the busy intersection of Market and Marion streets. Only on Marion and Jefferson streets were spaces marked for parking cars in the middle of the street.

The Excelsior Elector and Steam Laundry Company was located on East Market Street.

The Gulf Service Station was one of the last full service
Gulf Service Station image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 9, 2016
2. Gulf Service Station
stations in Athens. It was owned by Jack Park and Louis Speaks and was located at the corner of Market and Clinton streets.

The big spring provided water for Athens before 1897, when the first water system was built. In the 1930s a concrete cover was placed over the spring, but was removed in the 1980s.

One of the many businesses that occupied the Hendricks Corner Building during the 1970s.

The American Missionary Association founded Trinity School in 1865 to teach former slaves. Located on Market Street near the present depot, the school burned in 1881 but was quickly replaced with a brick building. In 1907 the school burned again. It was rebuilt on Coleman Hill on the site of Fort Henderson, a Civil War fort.
Location. 34° 48.202′ N, 86° 58.225′ W. Marker is in Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on Market Street east of North Marion Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. West of the RR tracks. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Market St W, Athens AL 35611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity School Cistern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scenes From Hobbs & Market Streets (about 300 feet away); North Side of Square
Raisler Building image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 9, 2016
3. Raisler Building
(about 400 feet away); Athens, Alabama (about 400 feet away); A County Older Than the State (about 500 feet away); Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence (about 500 feet away); Athens First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Athens Sacked and Plundered (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Athens.
Categories. African AmericansArchitectureEducationIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
Train Depot image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 9, 2016
4. Train Depot
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 189 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement