Reno in Washoe County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Listed in the National Register of Historical Places, it served the community well for eighty four years.
Destroyed by fire on October 31, 2006
In remembrance of those who perished
Alford Edward Yates, Gregory Jack Wiltse, Kevin M. Sutherin, Ernest James Duarte, William John Serrao, Paul D. Smith, Unknown Victim, Christopher James Covert, Jeremy Lee Wren, Nadine Inge Nicodemus, Diana Barbara Pochini, Philip James Bridges
Location. 39° 31.656′ N, 119° 48.634′ W. Marker is in Reno, Nevada, in Washoe County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street and East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on Lake Street. Click for map. Located in a parking lot at the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Reno NV 89501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Reno Arch (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Joseph DeLongechamps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lake's Crossing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Nevada’s First Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reno Washoe County World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Reno's Beginning (approx. ¼ mile away); Spanish-American War Memorial 1898-1899 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Reno.
Regarding Mizpah Hotel. In 2006, the Mizpah Hotel was a residential hotel. On the night of October 31, a tenant placed a mattress against one of the doors and set it on fire.
The hotel was destroyed. Twelve people died.
A tenant pleaded guilty to twelve counts of first degree murder and one count of arson. She testified that she had been drinking and taking drugs that night and didn't even remember the fire.
The hotel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1984 as the Pincolini Hotel, the name of the hotel opened when it opened in 1922.
The following is excerpted from the NRHP nomination.
The Pincolini (Mizpah Hotel) was built in three stages. The original five-bay structure was built in 1922. Major additions were added in 1925 and 1930 resulting in a three-story, ten-bay, brick commercial block with retail space on the ground floor and a hotel above. Before it was destroyed by fire
The Pincolini Hotel was significant for its historical association with Reno's Little Italy, a district which served as the center for Italian commercial and community activity in Reno. Little Italy was noted for its commercial diversity which included grocery stores, liquor stores, insurance agencies, a travel agency and hotels.
The Pincolini family, immigrated to Nevada from Parma, Italy, between 1896 and 1905.
Joseph Pincolini, the first family member to settle in the Reno area, purchased the San Rafael Ranch. The Pincolini family acquired substantial agricultural acreage in northern Nevada and were among the first in northern Nevada to employ mechanized farming methods which allowed the Pincolinis to realize substantial profits from farming.
Categories. • Disasters • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.