This village was founded in 1830 on the banks of the Blanchard River by Asa M. Lake, son of Asa Lake, veteran of the Revolution and War of 1812 and first settler of Delaware Township. The town and river are named for an early French pioneer, Jean Jacques Blanchard, who resided among area Shawnee Indians during the period 1770 to 1802. The Methodist Episcopal Church, first religious organization in Hancock Co., was founded in Delaware Twp. in 1828.
John Chapman, known as Johnny Appleseed, estab- lished a nursery on lots 51, 52, and 53, in 1834. Mt. Blanchard Union School, organized in 1868, was the first high school in the county outside Findlay. The large brick home at the town's south end was built by Maylangton Hamlin in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Dean Cunningham donated land for Island Park in 1932, which, with community cooperation, has been a constant source of enjoyment and pride.
Erected 1980 by Mt. Blanchard Historical Society Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6- 32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnny Appleseed (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mt. Blanchard Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Village of Arlington / The Arlington Heritage (approx. 4.7 miles away); Hull's Trail (approx. 7.9 miles away); Sheriden Cave (approx. 8 miles away); Fort Necessity / William Hull Memorial Park (approx. 8.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Hullís Trail 1812 (approx. 8.1 miles away); Hull's Trail, 1812 (approx. 9.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mt. Blanchard.
Additional keywords. Johnny Appleseed
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.