The first church building was expanded in 1812, and replaced by a larger structure in 1834. This building was destroyed by a fire, caused by a spark from a passing train in 1879, and was replaced by a new church constructed in the nearby village of New Brooklyn (South Plainfield).
The cemetery contains the graves of many families and individuals who were prominent in the area. The northern boundary of this property marks the position held by Hessian Troops under the command of Captain Johann Ewald. He was defending the Samptown Bridge from attack by American forces advancing south from the direction of Plainfield, during the Revolutionary War, June 21-23, 1777.
Location. 40° 34.811′ N, 74° 25.921′ W. Marker is in South Plainfield, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on New Market Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1391 New Market Avenue, South Plainfield NJ 07080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of South Plainfield (approx. one mile
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.