“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Skidaway Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)


Modena Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. Modena Marker
Inscription. This location first appears (1734) in Georgia's history as a Savannah outpost. An original settler was Thomas Mouse who is remembered for his description of early hardships here. An evangelical visitor in 1736 was John Wesley. By 1740 the settlement was abandoned. The Island revived when the Georgia Trusteeship ended in 1753, and Colonial Government established. An early grantee was John Milledge, whose plantation at this site was called "Modena." He was the orphaned son of one of the "First Hundred," the youthful protégé of Oglethorpe, Captain of Rangers, and member of First Commons House of Assembly. His son and successor, John, Jr., was a leader in the American Revolution. He was appointed State Attorney General at the age of 23 when still in uniform, and later became U.S. Representative, Governor, and U.S. Senator. As Governor he helped found the University of Georgia (Originally Franklin College). Modena was an active plantation until Mid-Nineteenth Century. The name is thought to come from Modena, Italian seat of silk culture; an industry envisioned for early Georgia, but which did not flourish.
Erected 1987 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 025-92.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Modena Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Modena Marker

Location. 31° 59.157′ N, 81° 1.369′ W. Marker is in Skidaway Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of McWhorter Drive and Ocean Science Circle, in the median on McWhorter Drive. Click for map. Marker is at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography driveway. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31411, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isle of Hope (approx. 2 miles away); Isle of Hope Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Isle of Hope (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mercer Auto Camp (approx. 2.9 miles away); Noble Jones’ “Wormslow” (approx. 3 miles away); Sandfly (approx. 3.1 miles away); Savannah State College (approx. 3.2 miles away); Walter Bernard Hill Hall (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry for John Milledge. (Submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 841 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement