Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Here, on May 5, 1813, General
Green, Clay landed with his
Kentucky troops to reinforce
General Harrison at
Fort Meigs, during British
siege under General Proctor.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 41° 32.871′ N, 83° 39.663′ W. Marker was in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker was at the intersection of West River Road (Ohio Route 65) and Holly Lane, on the right when traveling west on West River Road. Click for map. This missing marker was likely located a short distance west of the site of Fort Meigs, on the river side of the roadway, near the base of the slope that dips down from the ridge that Fort Meigs is situated upon. Marker was at or near this postal address: 28291 West River Road, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. 17th Infantry Regiment (approx. half a mile away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 1 Amos Spafford / Perrysburg (approx. half a mile away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 2 (approx. half a mile away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 3 (approx. half a mile away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 4 (approx. half a mile away); Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. half a mile away); Fort Meigs / Construction (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Perrysburg.
More about this marker. In 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of military trails. This
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on April 18, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on April 18, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on April 18, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
4. Lossing's Field Book of the War of 1812, Chapter XXIII, Events on the Maumee River. This is a link to information provided by the Ancestry.com site that is hosted by rootsweb. (Submitted on April 21, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 145 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.