“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Keyser in Mineral County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Washington’s Host

Washington’s Host Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, January 30, 2016
1. Washington’s Host Marker
Inscription. At Reese’s Mill, ruins of the home of Abraham Johnson, who entertained George Washington and surveying party in 1748. Johnson appeared in Patterson Creek Valley between 1735 and 1740 and in 1750 became an official of the Ohio Company.
Erected 1981 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Location. 39° 25.647′ N, 78° 54.489′ W. Marker is near Keyser, West Virginia, in Mineral County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 46 4 miles from Keyser, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keyser WV 26726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Keyser / Averell’s Raid (approx. 3.8 miles away); Potomac State College (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Keyser / Averell’s Raid (approx. 4.2 miles away); Vandiver - Trout - Clause House (approx. 7 miles away); Mayo and Savage (approx. 8.3 miles away); Don Redman (approx. 8.4 miles away); Working Together for the Community (approx. 8.4 miles away in Maryland); Mechanicsburg Gap / Col. Claudius Crozet (approx. 8.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Keyser.
Also see . . .  Roots Web Entry.
Washington’s Host Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, January 30, 2016
2. Washington’s Host Marker
“Many settlers came into the Northern Neck of Virginia, and a number of wealthy London and Virginia gentlemen saw possibilities for extensive trade with Indians and for colonization of the land on the Ohio River. Included among these prominent men were Thomas Nelson, Thomas Lee, George Fairfax, and Laurence and Augustus Washington. They formed a corporation known as the ‘Ohio Company’ and in 1749 were chartered by George II and granted 500,000 acres of land. A few months later the company open it first store on the south side of the Potomac, near the present town of Ridgeley, Mineral County. Mr. Hansbury had shipped about $4,000 worth of goods from London. Abraham Johnson of Patterson Creek had been appointed proprietor, and the settlers could exchange their surplus supplies of grain, hogs and tobacco for ‘blankets, red shroud, half thicks, liker and ches.’ Copies of original accounts of Abraham Johnson with the Ohio Company, which are still in the possession of his descendants are most interesting, and give a fair idea of the flourishing business that was carried on by this Company that can well be called, ‘America’s First Chain Store Corporation!’ ” (Submitted on April 18, 2016.) 
Categories. Colonial EraExploration
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement