Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Albany
In 1913, under leadership of the Rev. O.P. Clark (born 1881), a red brick building with dome was erected at present site. Its auditorium was resplendent with gas lights, but outside there were still hitching racks.
Razed 1947, that building was replaced (1948) with present sanctuary and fellowship hall. Educational annex was constructed in 1957, to complete plant.
Membership in this church now numbers 334.
Erected 1973 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1879.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 N. Jacobs St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Griffin Fandangle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Reynolds Presbyterian Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Albany's First Public School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Central Railway Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ledbetter Picket House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Albany (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.