Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rancho Cucamonga in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Cucamonga Service Station

 
 
Cucamonga Service Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sylvia Alvarado, October 14, 2015
1. Cucamonga Service Station Marker
Inscription. The Cucamonga Service Station was built by Henry Klusman in 1915 on the State Route which would 10 years later, be designated as U.S. Route 66. This type and style of station is one of the few remaining that once numbered in the thousands and greeted travelers along U.S. Route 66. William Harvey was the first owner, then in 1925 Ancil Morris purchased the station and became a Richfield distributor. Arvid “Chief” Lewis, Cucamonga’s first fire chief, owned the station from 1945 until it closed in 1971. In April of 2009 the City Council of Rancho Cucamonga designated the station a city historical landmark and in 2013 Route 66 Inland Empire California took title of the station and began the restoration process. The station was reopened in August of 2015 as a Route 66 museum.
 
Erected 2015 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Dean Zellers Grand President and Rio Hondo Parlor #294 (NSGW), Jim Caron, President.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 34° 6.406′ N, 117° 35.649′ W. Marker is in Rancho Cucamonga, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Foothill Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Click for map
Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sylvia Alvarado, December 12, 2015
2. Marker
Grand Trustee Joe Castillo with the marker at the base of the flag pole.
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9670 Foothill Boulevard, Rancho Cucamonga CA 91730, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cucamonga Winery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tapia Adobe Site (approx. one mile away); Red Hill (approx. one mile away); Bear Gulch (approx. 1.7 miles away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away); George Chaffey, Jr. (approx. 3.3 miles away); WCTU Fountain (approx. 4.3 miles away); Mule Car (approx. 4.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rancho Cucamonga.
 
Also see . . .  Route 66 Inland Empire California. Information on their preservation work. (Submitted on April 19, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Places
 
Cucamonga Service Station image. Click for full size.
By Sylvia Alvarado, December 12, 2015
3. Cucamonga Service Station
Marker Dedication Team image. Click for full size.
By Sylvia Alvarado, December 12, 2015
4. Marker Dedication Team
(l-r)
Grand President Dean Zellers
Arrowhead #110 Parlor President Sherry Livingston
Grand Trustee Garry Devlin
Grand Trustee Joe Castillo
Rio Hondo #294 member Fran Hubert
Rio Hondo #294 Parlor President Jim Caron
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement