Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Georgia Battalion Memorial
Georgia was the only state in the Union to supply arms from its state arsenal when her sons came to Texas to join the fight for freedom. The Georgia Battalion of 5 companies of volunteers came as a group to Texas and joined the command of Col. James Fannin, Jr.
Fanninís army of 500 men was surrounded in open country by a superior force of Mexican cavalry. Rather than attempt to fight their way out, abandoning the wounded, Fannin surrendered unconditionally to General Josť Urrea but understood that he and his men would be treated as prisoners of war and finally released. They gave up their arms and returned as prisoners to Goliad.
Santa Anna ordered them executed. On Palm Sunday, believing they were being repatriated, the prisoners were marched from the mission at Goliad to the open plain and were shot. Some had been hidden by concerned Mexican families and a few who might be useful to Mexico were spared. Among these was Dr. John Shackelford, for whom this county was named.
The state of Georgia sent a claim in 1855 to the state of Texas for $3000 to pay for the guns sent from the Georgia armory; the Texas Legislature agreed to pay the claim. Georgia then in 1857 waived the right to payment in favor of the building of a monument
Our town was named by one of its founders for his hometown of Albany, Georgia and our county for Dr. Shackelford who was spared at Goliad, and since we in Albany, Texas are among the benefactors of sacrifices made in behalf of Texas, we offer this memorial as partial payment of the debt we owe the state of Georgia. We shall remain with a great debt unpaid to Georgia for sons sent which we cannot send back. They are now part of the soil and soul of Texas.
Erected 1976 by City of Albany.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Spirit of 76, America's Bicentennial Celebration marker series.
Location. 32° 43.511′ N, 99° 17.865′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 180) and S. 1st Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located in Bank Park. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Albany (a few steps from this marker); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Ledbetter Picket House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Albany News (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Central Railway Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The H.C. Jacobs House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matthews Memorial Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); The Lynch Building (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . . Georgia Battalion. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on April 20, 2016.)
1. Memorial Flags
Flying over the memorial are the flags of the United States, the state of Texas, and the state of Georgia.
— Submitted April 20, 2016.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.