Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The MonCon Railroad

Materials on the Move

 

—Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area —

 
The MonCon Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 20, 2016
1. The MonCon Railroad Marker
Inscription. In 1885, the Monongahela Connecting Railroad (MonCon) was chartered as a subsidiary of Jones & Laughlin's, Ltd. Rail lines were built on both the northern and southern sides of the river. At this time, the only connection between the plants was a ferry, which operated on the river to move materials between the blast furnace plant on the northern shore and the steel mills on the South Side.

To increase efficiency, a single-track railroad bridge was put into service in 1887. This bridge was replaced by the 1898 "Y" trestle and 1901 Hot Metal bridges that exist today. The MonCon Bridges made the Jones & Laughlin plant more productive by allowing for the movement of hot iron from the blast furnace plant on the northern side of the river to the open hearth and other steelmaking facilities on the South Side and the movement of steel ingots from the South Side to the rolling mills on the northern side.
 
Location. 40° 25.714′ N, 79° 57.809′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from Three Rivers Heritage Trail. Click for map. Located on the Three Rivers Heritage Trail behind the Hyatt Hotel on Pittsburgh's South Side. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15203, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Interchange image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 20, 2016
2. Interchange
The MonCon had interchange capabilities with the three major rail carriers in the region: the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), which operated to the south of the plant, the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O), which operated to the north of the plant, and the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie (P&LE), which intersected the plant and had a large switching yard within the boundaries of the Jones & Laughlin South Side Works site. The P&LE passed under the 110-acre mill site between S. 25th and S. 29th Streets via the South Side Works Tunnel. The tunnel, which is located underneath this site, is presently used by the CSX Corporation.
are within walking distance of this marker. Materials Handling (a few steps from this marker); Open Hearth Steel (within shouting distance of this marker); Hazelwood: A Rivertown Rich in History (approx. ¼ mile away); Eliza Furnace (approx. half a mile away); Iron and Steel Workers (approx. half a mile away); Jones and Laughlin (approx. half a mile away); John T. Comès (approx. 0.6 miles away); Polish Army (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
Photo 2 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 20, 2016
3. Photo 2
Monongahela Connecting Railroad engine and scrap hoppers at the western end of No. 2 Open Hearth Department. P&LE tunnel on right, Eliza Furnaces and Hot Metal Bridge in rear.
The MonCon Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 20, 2016
4. The MonCon Railroad Marker
The Hot Metal Bridge Today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 20, 2016
5. The Hot Metal Bridge Today
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement