Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement / Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center

 
 
A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
1. A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker
Inscription.
A.B. Graham and the 4-H Movement
In 1902, Albert Belmont Graham (1868-1960), a school teacher and superintendent, established the Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club in Springfield, Ohio. Graham believed in learning by doing, a concept at the core of 4-H, which stands for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. In 1905, Graham became the first Superintendent of Agricultural Extension at The Ohio State University and he brought the idea of 4-H with him. 4-H is in all 50 states and over 70 countries, and more than 7 million members enroll annually. One in six Ohioans have been members.

Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
Dedicated in 2008, the Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center is the first campus building for 4-H in the United States and the first "green" building and Leadership in Energy and Environ- mental Design certified facility on The Ohio State University campus. At the time of construction, the building represented state-of-the-art "green" design, from the use of energy-conserving and recycled materials to extensive use of natural light. In addition to the lead contributions by Nationwide Insurance Foundation, and Ohio Farm Bureau Federation, the 4-H Center was built with gifts from over 3,800 donors.
 
Erected
A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
2. A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker
close up, side B
2012 by The Ohio 4-H Foundation The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 117- 25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the 4-H Youth Program, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 0.486′ N, 83° 1.685′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Fred Taylor Drive and Borror Dr., on the left when traveling north on Fred Taylor Drive. Click for map. Marker is on The Ohio State University campus, on Fred Taylor Drive north of Lane Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2201 Fred Taylor Dr, Columbus OH 43221, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jesse Owens Track (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jesse Owens (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Lane Avenue Bridges (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freedom Brutus (approx. 0.6 miles away); General Curtis E. LeMay (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Additional keywords. 4-H
 
Categories. AgricultureEducationEnvironmentFraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
3. A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker
Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
4. Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
5. A. B. Graham and the 4-H Movement Marker
Marker can be seen at a distance
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement