Downtown Historic District
National Register of Historic Places - 2013
—Plainﬁeld Historic Preservation Commission —
Plainfield has maintained a link to its heritage by preserving its historic architecture. The Downtown Historic District encompasses 50 properties along both sides of Lockport Street between Division Street on the east and James and Main Streets on the west. This four block area, developed between 1848-1963, includes a dense block of brick commercial buildings and three blocks with a mix of churches, commercial, and residential structures.
In the beginning, commercial development was scattered throughout Plainfield, but by the late 1840s, it concentrated along either side of "Lockport Road." By 1869, the northern and southern sections of Plainfield were joined as a single community and Lockport Street was later chosen as part of the route for the Lincoln Highway - the first paved transcontinental highway.
Greek Revival was the most common style of architecture among the earliest commercial and residential wood framed structures downtown. Fires in the 1880s and 1890s resulted in new brick buildings designed in the popular styles, such as Italianate and Queen Anne. A wide range of building materials, styles, and types are reflected in over 100 years of development in Downtown Plainfield.
Erected by Village of Plainfield Preservation Association.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Block Building Landmark (a few steps from this marker); The Development of Downtown Plainfield (a few steps from this marker); Opera House Block Building Landmark (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plymouth Congregational Church (about 500 feet away); Boxcars (approx. 0.3 miles away); Caboose (approx. 0.3 miles away); E J & E Depot No. 4 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lincoln Highway - The nation's first coast-to-coast highway! (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plainfield.
Also see . . .
1. Walking Tour of Downtown Plainfield IL. (Submitted on April 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Downtown Plainfield Historic District National Register Registration. (Submitted on April 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.