Andalusia in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School
Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original wood flooring and other details of a bygone era to create an atmosphere that speaks of Andalusia's commitment to her future and pride in her past.
This building was originally erected as the Three Notch School and is the oldest existing school building in Andalusia. The property was acquired in 1902 from Mrs. Malachi Riley. The Three Notch School was built in 1914 at the cost of $100,000 by Andalusia Manufacturing Company. The architect was C. Frank Galliher. Luther E. Brown was the school superintendent and Abner R. Powell Sr. was the mayor. The auditorium in the school was the center of Andalusia's cultural and civic activities. The stately building served as a school for Andalusia children for 85 years. In 2002, during the first administration of Mayor Earl V. Johnson, a restoration project was undertaken to convert the building to use as the Andalusia City Hall. McKee and Associates of Montgomery were the architects and Zedot Construction of Wetumpka, the contractor. The renovation was
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Andalusia.
Location. 31° 18.507′ N, 86° 28.599′ W. Marker is in Andalusia, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is at the intersection of East 3 Notch Street and 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East 3 Notch Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 East 3 Notch Street, Andalusia AL 36420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Covington County War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Purple Heart Memorial (about 500 feet away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (about 600 feet away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (approx. ¼ mile away); First National Bank Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Courthouse Clock Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place (approx. 0.4 miles away); History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Andalusia.
Also see . . . Andalusia History. (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 120 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.