Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hockessin in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin

 
 
First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker
Inscription. Local tradition states that a school was present at this location as early as 1829. However, in 1878 the first documented school for African-Americans in Hockessin was established in this vicinity. The school was funded and built primarily by the local African-American community and church. Additional support for materials, books, and the teacher's salary was provided by the Delaware Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of Colored People. Students typically attended school from two to five months between November and March to coincide with the agricultural off-season. Depending on the time of year, enrolled students varied from less than 10 to approximately 40. In 1891 responsibility for funding Delaware public schools was transferred to county superintendants and the school was placed in District 107. The land on which the school stood was sold in 1900 by Edward McGovern to Lodge No. 4 of the Colored American Protective Association. Shortly after, the land was conveyed to School District 107. In 1920 the original school was replaced by Hockessin School #107C (colored) on nearby Mill Creek Road, a school funded by P.S. duPont's Delaware School Auxiliary. The original 1878 schoolhouse is now incorporated into a private residence on this property.
 
Erected 2012 by Delaware Public
First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin Marker
Archives. (Marker Number NC-194.)
 
Location. 39° 47.092′ N, 75° 42.01′ W. Marker is in Hockessin, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Grant Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 634 Grant Avenue, Hockessin DE 19707, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hockessin School #107C (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chippey African Union Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); James Henry "Nip" Winters (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. John The Evangelist Church (approx. half a mile away); Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse (approx. mile away); Tweed's Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ashland Bridge (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hockessin.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement