“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Christiana Public School #111-C

Christiana Public School #111-C Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Christiana Public School #111-C Marker
Inscription. Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, insufficient lighting, and poor heating sources. In an effort to remedy these and other deplorable school facility conditions, philanthropist P.S. du Pont dedicated a substantial portion of his wealth towards the renovation and rebuilding of African American schools during the 1920s. Christiana Public School #111-C was one of the first of over 80 schools to receive such attention. Designed by the New Jersey architectural fire Guilbert and Betelle, school construction began April 20, 1920 and was completed on September 6, 1920. The one-story, colonial revival-style building was a one-teacher school and featured a main classroom with three smaller rooms for the furnace, washrooms, and work and lunch room. During the 1920-1921 school year enrollment numbered twenty-eight students. Richard and Esther Neal, whose family was one of the first African American families in Christiana, donated the two acres upon which Public School #111-C was built. Such a donation of land was required of all African American communities looking to establish new schools during this time. After the school closed
Christiana Public School #111-C image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Christiana Public School #111-C
circa 1952, it was used often by the community to host parties, dances, and picnics, building upkeep and use was overseen by the Christiana Community of #111-C, formed by local citizens when the school closed. In the wake of a devastating fire on February 18 199, efforts to renovate the property were spearheaded by former student Lavenia (Neal) Cole. The Christiana #111-C Community Center Restoration Committee has since worked in earnest to restore the property.

Christiana Public School #111-C was named to the National Register of Historic Places on October 18 1979
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-205.)
Location. 39° 40.112′ N, 75° 39.535′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on N. Old Baltimore Pike. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 N. Old Baltimore Pike, Newark DE 19702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Christiana Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christiana United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2

Christiana Public School #111-C image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
3. Christiana Public School #111-C
miles away); Samuel Patterson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Talbot's Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); Purple Heart Trail in Delaware (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hale-Byrnes House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Buena Vista (approx. 2.6 miles away).
Categories. African AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducation
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 91 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement